China consults on new food contact resins and additives
On 27th October, the National Centre for Food Safety Risk Assessment (CFSA) of China published a consultation on the approval of food additives and resins and the expanded use of FCM additives.
There are three food additives being considered for use in FCMs. They are:
- acids, aliphatic, monocarboxylic (C10-C22), esters with polyglycerol – for use in plastic at a maximum use level of 0.35%;
- 2-propenoic acid, 2-methyl-, 1,2-ethanediyl ester, polymer with methyl 2-methyl-2-propenoate – for use in polyethylene (PE) and polypropylene (PP) plastics up to 1%;
- hexanedioic acid, polymer with N-(2-aminoethyl)-1,3-propanediamine, aziridine, (chloromethyl)oxirane, 1,2-ethanediamine, N,N''-1,2-ethanediylbis[1,3-propanediamine], formic acid and α-hydro-ω-hydroxypoly (oxy-1,2-ethanediyl) – for use in paper and paperboard up to 0.12% (counts as the dry weight*).
And the food contact resins that are also being considered are:
- polymer of ethyl acrylate, acrylic acid and styrene – for use in coating and coating film at a maximum use level of 2%;
- 1,3-benzenedicarboxylic acid, polymer with 2,2-dimethyl-1,3-propanediol, 1,2-ethanediol and hexanedioic acid – for use in coating and coating film up to 10%;
- 1-isocyanato-3-isocyanatomethyl- 3,5,5,-trimethylcyclohexane homopolymer, methyl ethyl ketone oxime-blocked – for use in coating and coating film up to 15%;
- 1,3-benzenedicarboxylic acid, polymer with azacyclotridecan-2-one, 1,4-benzenedicarboxylic acid, dodecanedioic acid and 4,4'-methylenebis [2-methylcyclohexanamine] – for use in plastic; and
- propanoic acid, 3-hydroxy-2-(hydroxymethyl)-2-methyl-, polymer with 1,3-diisocyanatomethylbenzene and α-hydro-ω-hydroxypoly [oxy(methyl-1,2-ethanediyl)] – for use in adhesives with indirect contact with food.
In addition to the addictives and resins, CFSR is considering the additional uses of the following FCM addictives:
- C.I. solvent red 52 – for use in in plastic polycyclohexylenedimethylene terephthalate (PCT) at a maximum use level of 0.03%; and
- C.I. pigment yellow 180 – for use in PCT up to 0.3%.
After the consultation period which ended on November 18, if the substance gets approved, it will be put in the positive list of GB 9685-2016 and must adhere to GB 4806.1 requirements before they can be used in FCMs.
Last Update: 2021-11-30